#GivingTuesday is November 30, 2021
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration.
Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
Is your nonprofit part of #GivingTuesday? If this is your first year, this is an opportunity to get new supporters who want to be part of a global movement to make a difference in your community. Whether your local nonprofit or small business is promoting #GivingTuesday for the 1st time, or has been since 2012, social media is a powerful tool to spread the message of giving.
Local Nonprofit #GivingTuesday Social Media Tips
- Keep it Local
Whether you’re a local nonprofit or part of a national group, keep your #GivingTuesday campaign local to appeal for support from your community. Use local and branded hashtags in your posts in combination with the global #GivingTuesday hashtag.
- Make Your Call To Action Clear and Simple
Make it easy for donors to give money or time to your organization by embedding a secure, mobile-friendly donation form on your website or Facebook so donating is just a click away. Be sure to incorporate a thank you and social share message after a donation so your donors are acknowledged and your message keeps spreading.
- Gen Z and Millennials are Mobile
Target your campaign to reach the Gen Z and millennial audiences who are comfortable with donating money online – but you have more than one online audience! Create messaging to target all your different client personas so everyone is aware and involved.
- Ask Your Supporters to Share
Influencers and brand Ambassadors are a good way to promote your campaign in advance. Choose and train ambassadors who connect with your target audiences. Empower them to represent your organization and show them how their contributions impacted your campaign.
- Provide Campaign Updates
Keep your supporters informed about your #GivingTuesday goals and status with social media updates, texts or emails.
- GivingTuesday Social Media Toolkit
GivingTuesday.org has created an excellent social media toolkit to get your campaign started, filled with:
- case studies of successful #GivingTuesday campaigns
- popular hashtags to promote the event
- sample Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts
- ideas for videos and blogs
- a timeline for launching your #GivingTuesday campaign
- graphics, logos and images you can use for your organization
Everyone can get involved in this global giving movement. Individuals, students, organizations and business can support #GivingTuesday by:
- making a financial contribution to organizations you support
- corporate partnerships with nonprofits and charities
- volunteering time
- spreading the word about #GivingTuesday
- helping a neighbor or your community
Follow #GivingTuesday on Social Media:
- Twitter: @GivingTues
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GivingTuesday
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@GivingTuesday
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GivingTuesday
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/givingtuesday
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/givingtuesday/
Celebrities who support #GivingTuesday include: Ellen DeGeneres, Heidi Klum, Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lopez, Charlize Theron, Reese Witherspoon, Drew Barrymore, Rachel Bilson and more.
Giving Tuesday By The Numbers:
√ 75 country movements around the world
√ 240+ community campaigns in the United States
√ 9 years of growing generosity worldwide
√ Millions of generous people doing good